Tuesday 11 November 2014

Rememberance Day, Leominster. 2014.

A small group of Leominster residents braved the wind and the rain to observe the two minute silence at Leominster war memorial today.



.Warrant Officer Class 2 (Retired) Pat Greenhouse. "Served in the Royal Army Pay Corps with Gunners, Gurkha's in Hong Kong, in Cyprus as part of the UN peace corps, Northern Ireland, Germany and we were on our way to the Falklands but didnt make it, as we were turned back after ...(HMS Sheffield) was hit."

 Private (Retired) Ray Fisher. "Served in Germany, 1953, 1st Batalian Kings Shropshire Light Infantry."

Flight Lieutenant (Retired) Val Hickin. RAF VRT, (Royal Air Force Volunteer, Training Branch.) "I worked for the Royal Observer Corp as an underground in a nuclear bunker, unfortunately or fortunately that's all my history, during the cold war there was lots of that sort of thing going on. The Royal Observer Corp was stood down in Sept 1991, I then went round to the ATC (Air Training Corp) sqaud and said well look I've taught lots of things like aircraft recognition and other things, can I be of any help here. To cut a long story short I got a commision and I ran the Leominster ATC for 14 years, I then reached an age where I had to retire and I culd no longer run it. I'm  back there now as a civilian instructer. And that is my potted history."

LAC (Leading Aircraftman) Acting Corporal Kenneth Wood. Royal Airforce Police. 1955-58, based in Lancashire.  "I volunteered at the age of seventeen, I wanted to be a police man. After that I worked for the British Transport Police on the railway."

No comments:

Post a Comment